Dr. Jack Mahaney
Associate Professor Emeritus
Dr. Mahaney came to Mercer in 1985 to help start the School of Engineering. Prior to engineering school at Old Dominion, he spent eleven years in the U.S. Navy as a Submarine Missile Technician, a formative experience that set him up for everything that followed. Along the way he was fortunate to encounter his wife Colleen. They have been together 44 years and have two daughters and two grandsons.
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, University of Wales Swansea, 2002
- M.E., Old Dominion University, 1985
- B.S.M.E., Old Dominion University, 1982
Area(s) of Specialization
- Computational Mechanics
My current professional interests revolve around teaching, primarily Statics, as it’s a foundational course for young engineers, and I like to think I’m helping them prepare for success in the rest of their courses.
My major interests are (in random order):
- Reading, primarily history
- Piping. I’m a member of the Mercer University Pipes and Drums, and am an enthusiastic Grade Four piper.
- Travel. With grandsons in Helsinki, we regularly go to Finland, and also love to spend time in Barcelona.
- Sailing. I have raced a Thistle for many years, and love sailing and racing boats of all sizes.