Dr. Ruiyun Fu
Assistant Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Dr. Ruiyn Fu received her Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from the University of South Carolina in 2013, and her M.S. and B.S. from Huazhong University of Science & Technology in China in 2004 and 2007, respectively. Prior to joining Mercer, she served as a research scientist at South Dakota School of Mines & Technology for one year. Dr. Fu’s research interests focus on modeling and simulation of power semiconductor devices for switching converter applications, dc/dc converters, dc/ac inverter and renewable energy conversion system design.
- Ph.D. Electrical Engineering, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC, USA
- M.S. Electrical Engineering, Huazhong University of Science & Technology, Wuhan, China
- B.S. Electrical Engineering, Huazhong University of Science & Technology, Wuhan, China
Area(s) of Specialization
- Power Electronics and their Applications in Power Systems
- Grid-connected power electronics converters in power systems
- Communication energy systems and switching power supplies
- Modeling and application of cutting edge power semiconductor devices (such as SiC-MOSFET & GaN-FET)
- High-frequency, high-power resonant inverters and motor drives
- Renewable Energy Conversion System Design
- Yashwanth Bezawada, Ruiyun Fu and Yucheng Zhang, “Analyzing Resonant Points of SLLD Circuit to Achieve MPPT for Capacitive-Coupling Wireless Power Transfer”, IEEE Annual Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE 2019), Baltimore, MD, September 2019 (Accepted).
- Yashwanth Bezawada, Ruiyun Fu, Yucheng Zhang, “Impacts of Coupling Plates on Single-Switch Capacitive-Coupled WPT Systems”, 2019 IEEE Wireless Power Week (WPW 2019), London, UK, June 2019.
- Ruiyun Fu, “A Simple Hands-on Project for the Conference of “Girls will be Women in STEAM””, 2019 ASEE Southeast Section Annual Conference, Raleigh, NC, March 2019.
- Sagar Bhatta, Ruiyun Fu, and Yucheng Zhang, “Relationship of Steady-State Power Loss and Configurable Tripping Time in Z-Source Circuit Breakers”, IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC 2019), Anaheim, CA, March 2019.
- Yashwanth Bezawada, Caitlyn Patton, Ruiyun Fu, and Yucheng Zhang, “Analysis of Influence Factors on Power Delivery Capability and Efficiency in Capacitive-Coupled WPT”, IEEE 9th International Symposium on Power Electronics for Distributed Generation Systems (PEDG 2018), Charlotte, NC, June 2018.
- Ruiyun Fu, “Specify the Matching of Motor Drive and Electric Machine in Prime Mover Emulators”, IEEE 12th International Conference on Power Electronics and Drive Systems (PEDS), Honolulu, Hawaii, December 2017.
- Ruiyun Fu, Yucheng Zhang, and Sagar Bhatta, “An Easily-Installed Hardware-In-the-Loop (HIL) Inverter System for Power Electronics Teaching”, IEEE 12th International Conference on Power Electronics and Drive Systems (PEDS), Honolulu, Hawaii, December 2017.
- Yucheng Zhang, Yashwanth Bezawada, and Ruiyun Fu, “Study of a 3kW High-efficient Wide-Bandgap DC-DC Power Converter for Solar Power Integration in 400V DC Distribution Networks”, IEEE 12th International Conference on Power Electronics and Drive Systems (PEDS), Honolulu, Hawaii, December 2017.
- Yucheng Zhang, Ruiyun Fu, Weisong Tian and Robb M. Winter, “Energy and Fuel Utilization of SiC-Based 400V DC Distribution Network and 208V AC Distribution Network with Distributed Resources Installation”, IEEE 12th International Conference on Power Electronics and Drive Systems (PEDS), Honolulu, Hawaii, December 2017.
- Ruiyun Fu, “Developing Student Understanding of Power Electronic Design through a Real World Project”, Rehabilitation Engineering and Assistive Technology Society of North America (RESNA), New Orleans, LA, 2017.
- Chengwei Lei, Weisong Tian, Yucheng Zhang, Ruiyun Fu, Ruting Jia and Robb Winter, “Probability-Based Circuit Breaker Modeling for Power System Fault Analysis”, IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference & Exposition (APEC), Tampa, FL, May 2017.
- R. Jennings, Y. Bezawada, Ruiyun Fu and Y. Zhang, “Sensitivity of Conversion Efficiency with Variable Load Assignment in Class-E Resonant Inverter and its Derivatives”, IEEE International Telecommunications Energy Conference (INTELEC), pp: 1-7, Austin, TX, Oct. 2016.
- W. Tian, C. Lei, Y. Zhang, D. Li, Ruiyun Fu and R. Winter, “Data Analysis and Optimal Specification of Fuse Model for Fault Study in Power Systems”, IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting (PES-GM), pp:1-6, Boston, MA, July 2016.
- Weisong Tian, Yucheng Zhang, Ruiyun Fu, Yanxiao Zhao, Guodong Wang and Robb Winter, “Modeling and Control Architecture of Source and Load Management in Islanded Power Systems”, IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), pp: 3407-3413, Montreal, Canada, September 2015.
- Ruiyun Fu, Enrico Santi, and Yucheng Zhang, “Power SiC MOSFET Model with Simplified Description of Linear and Saturation Operating Regions”, IEEE 9th International Conference on Power Electronics – ECCE Asia, Seoul, Korea, June 2015.
- Yucheng Zhang, Roshan Shrestha and Ruiyun Fu, “Enabling Fail-Safe and Initial Charge Limitation in Uncontrolled Rectifiers by Applying Virtual-Air-Gap Variable Reactors”, IEEE 9th International Conference on Power Electronics – ECCE Asia, Seoul, Korea, June 2015.
- Y. Zhang, P. Devakota, and Ruiyun Fu, “Analysis on Practical Design of Virtual-Air-Gap Variable Reactors for Tieline Reclosing in Microgrid”, IEEE 2014 IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), Pittsburgh PA, September 2014.