School of Engineering
Electrical and Computer Engineering
The professional activities of electrical engineers directly affect the lives of most of the world’s population every day. Electrical engineers are responsible for the design and development of:
- Digital computers
- Telephone networks and communication systems
- Radio and television transmitters and receivers
- Automatic control systems
- Electric power generation and distribution systems
Within the broad scope of these systems, electrical engineers are concerned with a challenging and diverse array of design and development problems, and function as prime movers in the “high tech” age.
The development of the microprocessor has expanded opportunities for electrical engineers to improve the design of familiar products such as automobiles, consumer and office equipment, entertainment systems, communication systems, test and measurement instruments, and various machine tools.
Electrical engineers design:
- Minuscule semiconductor integrated circuits which contain many thousands of elementary devices
- Systems for automatically controlling mechanical devices and a variety of processes
- Satellite communication links
- Biomedical instrumentation for patient monitoring systems for hospitals and medical research
Learn from the Best
Electrical engineering majors benefit from the guidance of our experienced team of faculty members.