School of Engineering
Industrial Engineering and Industrial Management
Design for People
Industrial engineering is concerned with the design, improvement, and installation of integrated systems of people, material, information, equipment, and energy. The discipline draws upon specialized knowledge and skills in the mathematical, physical, and social sciences, together with the principles and methods of engineering analysis and design to specify, predict, and evaluate the results to be obtained from such systems.
Industrial engineers join people with products and tools designed by engineers from other disciplines such as mechanical and electrical engineering. With people at the center, Mercer’s industrial engineering major places a heavy emphasis on working as a team and working on real industrial engineering problems from the neighboring communities. As a result of developing strong interpersonal communication skills, many industrial engineers rise to the top of technical companies through the ranks of management.
Plan for Usability
Mercer’s industrial engineering major draws upon 4 foundational areas:
- Management Science: The application of mathematical techniques to solve management problems
- Ergonomics: The study and design of the interaction between humans and machines
- Manufacturing: The design and development of processes and systems to transform inputs to products
- Quality: The application of statistical methods and managerial principles to improve the quality of products and services
Prepare for the Future
From developing and analyzing methods for building the space station and the shuttle to designing and improving manufacturing lines and improving the services in hospitals and other industries, industrial engineers are involved in making systems of people, materials, equipment, and energy work together effectively and efficiently.
- Industrial engineers design airplane cockpits, power plant control rooms, work areas in manufacturing and service industries, and many other interfaces between people and the machines they need to use.
- They develop plans for what to manufacture and when, how to keep airlines on schedule when weather or other problems cause disruptions, and other ways of keeping large systems working together efficiently.
- They design and specify manufacturing processes, ensure the quality of manufactured goods, and continuously seek to improve the quality, productivity, and safety of the manufacturing environment.
Learn from the Best
Industrial engineering majors benefit from the guidance of our experienced team of faculty members.