Dr. Arash Afshar
Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Stony Brook University
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Stony Brook University
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Tehran Polytechnic
Area(s) of Specialization
- Composite Materials
- Additive manufacturing
- Director of Composite Materials Laboratory with interests in fabrication and characterization of composite materials
- Mechanical design
- Stress and finite element analysis
- Thin film deposition
Undergraduate and graduate courses in mechanical engineering such as:
- Applied elasticity
- Composite materials
- Fatigue and fracture
- Finite element methods
- Mechanical engineering laboratories
- Machine design
- Solid mechanics
- Visualization and solid modeling
- Playing Chess
- Afshar, A., Mihut, D. M. (2020) Enhancing durability of 3D printed polymer structures by metallization. Journal of Materials Science & Technology, in press.
- Khadka, A., Fick, B., Afshar, A., Tavakoli, M., Baqersad, J. (2020) Non-contact vibration monitoring of rotating wind turbines using a semi-autonomous UAV, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, Volume 138.
- Afshar, A., Mihut, D. M., Chen, P. (2020) Effects of environmental exposures on carbon fiber epoxy composites protected by metallic thin films. Journal of Composite Materials, 54, 167-177.
- Afshar, A., Mihut, D. M., Baqersad, J., Hill, S. D. (2019). Study of metallic thin films on epoxy matrix as protective barrier to ultraviolet radiation. Surface and Coatings Technology, 367, 41-48.
- Mihut, D. M., Afshar, A., Lackey, L. W., Lee, K. (2019). Antibacterial Effectiveness of Metalized Water Filter Paper by Magnetron Sputtering Deposition. Surface and Coatings Technology, 368, 59-66.
- Bharadwaj, K., Sheidaei, A., Afshar, A., Baqersad, J. (2019). Full-field strain prediction using mode shapes measured with digital image correlation. Measurement, 139, 326-333.
- Afshar, A., Mihut, D. M., Hill, S. D., Baqersad, J. (2018). Synergistic effects of environmental exposures on polymer matrix with or without metallic coating protection. Journal of Composite Materials, 52(27), 3773-3784.
- Afshar, A. (2017). Synergistic effects of marine environments and flexural fatigue on carbon fiber-vinyl ester composites protected by gelcoat. Journal of Composite Materials, 51(26), 3711-3717.