Dr. Hodge Jenkins
Associate Professor and Chair of Mechanical Engineering
Dr. Hodge Jenkins is the Chair and Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Mercer University in Macon, Georgia. Prior to coming to Mercer in 2002, he was engaged in optical fiber development with Bell Laboratories of Lucent Technologies, and had worked as professionally as an engineer for 20 years in several industries. He is a registered professional engineer with nearly 40 years of experience in design and development in high-precision machines, dynamic structural analysis, process automation, and control. Dr. Jenkins’ favorite courses to lead are Machine Design and Senior Design. Dr. Jenkins is also a past president of the Southeastern Section of the American Society for Engineering Education.
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Pittsburgh
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Pittsburgh
Machine Design, Controls, Automation, Robotics, Vibration, and Manufacturing
Dr. Jenkins continues his research efforts in a multitude of areas, including the development of new processes, products and machines, controls and automation, robotics, mechanical-electrical systems, automated metrology, dynamic analysis, and acoustics of stringed instruments.
In addition to his research, Dr. Jenkins also served in a number of different industries, such as:
optical fiber processing, grinding/fine finishing, U.S. Postal Service automation, laboratory robotics and automation, instrumentation and data logging, and nuclear reactor seismic and LOCA analyses.
Outside of the classroom, Dr. Jenkins enjoys spending time with his wife, two dogs, and two cats.
He also enjoys going to concerts, traveling, gardening, golfing, SCUBA diving, and playing the ukulele.
- Jenkins, Hodge,“Efficacy of Teaching Professional Engineering Ethics to Engineering Students,” 2020 ASEE-SE Conf. Raleigh, NC, March 2020, pp. 1-4.
- Schultz, Scott; Kohn, Dan; Brocato, John; Wigal, Cecelia; Jenkins, Hodge; Hall, Tyson,“ASEE-SE: A Retrospective,” 2019 ASEE-SE Conf. Raleigh, NC, March 2019, pp. 1-6.
- Jenkins, H.E.,“Review of Project-Based Learning in a Junior Level Mechanical Engineering Course,” 2017 ASEE Zone II Conf. , San Juan, PR, March 2017, pp. 1-6.
- Jenkins, H.E.,“Observations from First Use of An Online Homework and Learning Management System,” 2016 ASEE-SE Conf. , Tuscaloosa, AL, March 2016, pp. 1-8.
- Jenkins, H.E., Schultz, S.R., “The Final Exam – To Have or Have Not,” 2013 ASEE-SE Conf. , Cookeville, TN, March 2013, paper 152, pp. 1-8.
- Philip T. McCreanor, P.T., Lackey. L.W., Jenkins, H.E., Hyun, S., Leonard, M., “Encouraging Undergraduate Engineering Students to Generate Research and Design Publications,” 2013 ASEE-SE Conf. , Cookeville, TN, March 2013, paper 150, pp. 1-10.
- Bubacz, M., McCreanor, P.T., Jenkins, H.E., “Engineering of Beer: Hard Work of Too Much Fun?” 2013 ASEE-SE Conf. , Cookeville, TN, March 2013, paper 175, pp. 1-10.
- Jenkins, H.E., Schultz, S.R., Vo, H.V., “A Different Approach to Multi-Discipline Senior Design,” 2012 ASEE-SE Conf. , Charleston, SC, April 2012, paper 501, pp. 1-10.
- Jenkins, H.E., “A Review of On-line Instruction in Introductory Engineering Mechanics Courses,” 2011 ASEE-SE Conf. , Charleston, SC, April 2011, paper, 135, pp. 1-7.
- Bubacz, M. , Kunz, R.K., and Jenkins, H.E., “Introducing Supplemental Instruction to Mercer University Engineering Curriculum,” 2011 ASEE-SE Conf. , Charleston, SC, April 2011, paper 187, pp. 1-9.
- Jenkins, H.E., “Independent Research in Dynamics, a Case Study in Student Learning,” 2010 ASEE-SE Conf. , Blacksburg, VA, April 2010, paper, 2010JEN134, pp. 1-10.
- Jenkins H.E. and Nagurka, M.L., “Development of a Cascaded Controller for Temperature and Core Growth Rate in Vapour-Phase Axial Deposition,” Journal of Systems and Control Engineering , Vol. 223, Number 6, 2009, pp. 863-875.
- McKay, M.J. and Jenkins, H.E., “Precision Grasping with Variable Compliance Using Force Sensing Resistors,” 2009 ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress , Paper IMECE2009-10477, pp. 1-10, 2009.
- Jenkins, H.E. and Lackey, L.W., “Survey of Teaching Assessments at Engineering Educational Institutions,” 2009 ASEE-SE Conf. , Marietta, GA, April 2009, paper, 2009063JEN, pp. 1-7.