Dr. Pam Estes Brewer
Professor and Chair of Technical Communication
Dr. Pam Estes Brewer is a technical communicator and educator. She is Chair and Professor in the Department of Technical Communication in Mercer University’s School of Engineering.
Dr. Brewer is a Fellow in the Society for Technical Communication and a recipient of STC’s Jay R. Gould award for excellence in teaching, the STC’s President’s Award, and Mercer’s Vulcan Award for Innovation in Teaching. She researches and trains on remote/hybrid teaming, and her book entitled International Virtual Teams: Engineering Global Success was published by Wiley in 2015. With George Hayhoe, she published the 2nd edition of A Research Primer for Technical Communication with Taylor & Francis. Join her on LinkedIn and in the Remote Teaming Network group.
- Ph.D., Technical Communication and Rhetoric, Texas Tech University
- M.A., English/Professional Communication, Wright State University
- B.A., English/Business, Wright State University
Hybrid and Virtual Teams, Usability, and Research Methods
Dr. Brewer researches, authors, and presents on topics related to communication in hybrid and virtual teams, online teaching, usability, and research methods. She teaches general technical communication courses as well as advanced and graduate courses in usability research, research methods, and international tech comm.
Dr. Brewer’s students work regularly with the Department of Homeland Security on usability assessment.
She recently completed a grant-funded project for the Georgia Department of Transportation in collaboration with colleagues at Mercer University and Georgia College and State University.
Dr. Brewer is active in animal rescue in Middle Georgia and fosters dogs as they are rehabilitated from the shelter. She also volunteers time for social justice events.
- Mitchell, A. & Brewer, P. E. (2021). Leading Hybrid Teams: Strategies for Realizing the Best of Both Worlds. Organizational Dynamics. Early access link.
- Hayhoe, G. F. & Brewer, P. E. (2020). A Research Primer for Technical Communication (2nd ed.). New York: Routledge.
- Goode, J., Croft, N., & Brewer, P. E. (2019). A new digital archive and search platform for GDOT R&D projects. Report. GDOT Research Library.
- Brewer, P. E. (2018). Leadership in technical communication education. Intercom 63(3), 19-20.
- Brewer, P. E. (2018). Glossary. In K. Brown-Hoekstra (Ed.), The Language of Localization (pp. 90-91). Laguna Hills, CA: XML Press.
- England, P.S., & Brewer, P. E. (2018). What do instructors need to know about teaching collaboration? In T. Bridgeford (Ed.), Teaching Professional and Technical Communication: A Practicum in a Book. Logan, Utah: Utah State University Press.
- Brewer, P. E., & Minacori, P. (2018). A multi-faceted global virtual team project linking tech comm education in the U.S. and France. In B. Mousten, S. Vandepitte, E. Arno & B. Maylath (Eds.), Multilingual Writing and Pedagogical Cooperation in Virtual Learning Environments (pp. 55-81). Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Brewer, P. E. (2017 July). 7 core characteristics of virtual teams in 2017. CIDM eNews.
- Brewer, P. E. (2016). Teaching and training with global virtual teams. In M. Flammia & K. St.Amant (Eds.), Teaching Culture and Communication in Global Contexts (pp. 173-197). Hoboken, NJ: IEEE Press/Wiley.
- Brewer, P. E. (2015). International Virtual Teams: Engineering Global Success. Hoboken, NJ: IEEE
- Brewer, P. E., & Brewer, E. C. (2015). Pedagogical perspectives for the online education skeptic. Journal on Excellence in College Teaching, 26(1), 29-52.