Department of Technical Communication
Meet Tech Comm
Uniquely positioned within the School of Engineering, the Department of Technical Communication is designed to equip students with knowledge in communication management, information design, instructional design, technical editing, usability, and web design.
Technical communicators translate complex pieces of information into user-friendly content with strategic design for effective and clear communication.
News from Tech Comm
Congratulations to Dr. Philip Gallagher for these upcoming publications and presentations:
- “Phenomenology of Writing with Unfamiliar Tools in a Semi-public Environment: A Case Study” in Computers and Composition
- “Teaching Visual Content Description for Visually Impaired Users using Visual Rhetoric and Kostelnick’s Design Matrix” at ACM’s SIGDOC 2021
Undergraduate and Graduate Programs
- B.S. in Technical Communication — Learn to make essential information available through multiple mediums, including instructional videos, websites, social media, and paper documents. Help society better understand science, technology, and countless other disciplines.
- Technical Communication minor — Enhance your undergraduate major with a minor in technical communication. Learn to analyze audiences for any type of communication, define their purpose, and design appropriate communication products to meet needs.
- M.S. in Technical Communication Management — Expand your knowledge and gain insight into the managerial duties of a technical communicator. Lead career-applicable projects to build your portfolio, enhance your career, and benefit your employer.
- Graduate Certificate in Technical Communication – Advance your career and earn the Graduate Certificate in Technical Communication in 1-2 years.